Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Cats in the Rain


Waking up to rain ruined my plans for a walk to the park, so instead I finally finished the smock top I have been working on for Miss C. I used the Michael Miller style cats fabric which I have had sitting around for ages, but haven't been able to find the 'perfect' use for. It was my first attempt at something with gathers attached to a straight bodice and although I am rather pleased with the outcome I realised my handsewing skills are sadly lacking.

After two frustrating attempts to attach the armhole bias on the machine I gave up and did it by hand. Then I also had to slip stitch the facings at the end. So it challenged my patience that's for sure. I have always wanted to be one of those calm serene mothers who at the end of the day can relax in an armchair to quietly complete some little handsewn project, but I'm afraid it's not to be. Instead I find myself swearing under my breath and pricking myself repeatedly.

Luckily I finished just as the wee wuns woke from their nap and the sun finally came out. I had to bribe Miss C with television and dried pineapple chunks in order to get her to try it on and sneak a picture.