Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Almost three

I am feeling rather sad today. My baby girl is almost three. Party plans are in full swing for Friday and yay, the birthday dress is almost finished. I just need to put on the waist ties and buttons. I am so pleased with how it has come out. I was so in love with the vintage polished cotton that I had to hold back a sob when I cut it. But it has been well worth it. It is just the perfect party dress. Who cares if we are only having a little get-together in the park with a handful of friends. A party is a party. And the birthday girl gets to wear whatever she wants. Or whatever mummy wants her too.




I actually stressed quite a bit when cutting this pattern out as it was the old kind with no printing at all, just lots of little holes and notches to guide you. And the instructions were rather lacking as well. I guess back in the Fifties, most women sewed so there was a higher level of assumed knowledge. It also had a lot of handsewing for all the facings, which although I hate doing it, I love that the inside is just as beautiful as the outside. So it was worth it in the end. I wish I had the time to make a petticoat so that the skirt would sit fabulously full like on the pattern, but I am afraid I don't have the time or even the materials to do it. And a trip to the fabric shop is out of the question at this late stage. There are cupcakes that need baking and presents to wrap and not enough time to get everything done. Now we just have our fingers crossed for sunshine.



8 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow Ingrid, that looks just gorgeous!! Can't wait to see a photo of it on. Good luck for the party, have a great day.
Natalie

Leah said...

Amazing! The dress is gorgeous - perfect for a gorgeous Birthday girl!
Have a great time!
Leah*

candi said...

That is beautiful! Pity that little girls don't have more celebrations to wear dresses like that too!

Clair said...

so so pretty. You have done a fab job. Good luck with the party, and the rest of the organizing :)

Dani said...

Ingrid that dress is stunning.
I hope the rest of the birthday is as beautiful

jill said...

Beautiful!

Kay said...

Ingrid, You are so clever that dress is devine. I think Miss C will look gorgeous in it for her garden (park) party. Is that today? Hope you all have a terrific time.

marianne said...

What a divine dress...that fabric is just wonderful and you have picked exactly the style that it ought to be.Any little girl( or big for that matter) would feel like a princess in this!