Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Thrifty finds

I braved a local thrift store on the weekend with both the little ones. And surprisingly it wasn't as bad as expected. Luckily the books and linen were both located right next to a huge pile of mattresses, which they happily rolled around and jumped on, picking up tonnes of germs along the way I am sure. So all was peaceful until a woman pointed out how dangerous it would be if the mattresses should fall over and crush my children. Well, duh! Does she not realise that I am fully capable of making calculated risks. The benefits of 5 or 10 minutes of peaceful rummaging are far outweighed by any damage a mattress could do to my two. And besides, I quickly had a jump on them myself while no-one was looking to make sure they were stable.

I didn't have any fabulous finds, but was pretty pleased with my haul anyway. Especially since the books were marked at $4 each, but the lady at the counter thought that was rather overpriced, so she gave them to me for $1 each. What a sweetheart. I thought $4 each was too much as well, but it gave each of the children something to carry home and look at in the car.

Here are my favourites. The two sheets are both double so lots of fabric to play with. I like the green the best. I will be using these to test out a few ideas I have for shirring. And the second is a child size doona cover. I think the squares will make great applique on t-shirts or bags for quick and easy gifts.





3 comments:

brazen's crafts said...

haha! at you jumping on the mattresses! like the fabrics

Helen said...

So envious of all the fantastic op shop bargains you score over east! Like the green fabric best too! :)

Apron Thrift Girl said...

I can't keep track of how many times people in shops have told me my children were in danger. Of course they were usually perfectly fine. As my children have grown older I find them much easier to manage in thrift stores. It has made thrifting so much more fun with them. Great fabric scores.