Monday, September 25, 2006

20c Patterns and more

One of the things I love about blogging, is that I have discovered a whole new world of people who love thrifting and the whole experience of searching out the perfect little treasure from a pile of so called junk as much as me. In the past I had come home from rummaging expeditions to show off my finds to my husband who was less than enthusiastic. I think his reaction has something to do with the fact that I am always bringing things home but never getting rid of anything. So apart from a few like-minded friends, who unfortunately don't live close by, I had no-one to share the joy of my finds with. Now not only can I share the excitement of my finds with those friends and whoever else happens along, but I can spend hours devouring pics of some of the thrifty treasures that others find. It gives me a lovely sense of belonging to know there are others out there like me.

This past weekend I didn't expect a chance to get out thrifting at all. But after Lottie came down with croup on Friday night, it sadly meant that she wasn't able to attend her friends party on the Saturday. After quite a few tears she settled down for a long nap and I took the opportunity to sneak out on my own.

And I was thrilled to come across two large boxes of old patterns, and as I was own my own I went through them properly and only took the ones I really wanted. Normally if I have the wee wuns with me I would just buy them all and then sort them at home. At only 20c each I don't mind buying them all. But this time I chose about 25. Mostly they are vintage womens a size or two too small for me, but hopefully with a bit of adjusting and less cake I can make something that will fit.




Here are some of my favourites. I really like the shape of the dress bottom centre. I would love to try and make this with more of a kimono style sleeve, but maybe I am being too ambitious. I also think the coat in the top right pattern is the perfect shape for a great basic piece, and I may just be brave enough to attempt it for next winter.



And then I found this. I am still yet to get the hang of crochet. In fact I had really given up on it. But then I stumbled across this and remembered why I must learn to do it. I am so in love with this vest, I just have to make it. I am going to call my mum and see if she can help me through it step by step. Ditch the tie on the blouse and the expression on the models face and I can envisage this becoming a favourite part of my wardrobe.




And lastly I found this absolutely delightful children's picture book. The pages have come away from the spine and it is in quite poor condition, but the illustrations are just lovely. What can I say, more sweet little birds and a beautiful story too. What more could I want!
Sorry about the strange pic layout. Blogger wouldn't let me centre these ones for some bizarre reason.

5 comments:

brazen's crafts said...

ooooh lovely finds! perhaps when i lose some more weight i can borrow some patterns to copy them?! some lovely ones there!

Cass said...

Ingrid, you always find the best things at your thrift stores.

Helen said...

Ingrid, the espression on that model is CLASSIC! LOL! You'll look much prettier in that jacket/shrug/shawl. :)

Becca Boomsticks said...

Ingrid - My mum crochets beautifully! I'm sure she has some books lying around that I could photocopy for you to show you the basics! Let me know!

Claire Falkigham said...

All of these finds make me swoon Ingrid! I love finding old children's books!