Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The skirt I hate to love and the dress I want to love

Yesterday I made myself a skirt. The weather is really warming up, it even reached over 30 degrees on the weekend. So as I was searching through my wardrobe I made an unfortunate discovery. Either all my summer things from last year have shrunk or I have grown. How can this be? Last summer I worked so hard to lose the extra weight from what felt like never-ending years of pregnancy and breastfeeding, and now I discover it has all crept back on. So I chose an old piece of vintage seersucker type fabric from my stash that I found at a thift store a few months ago and pulled out the tape measure. I was aghast at my measurements, but soldiered on and made a really basic skirt in about half an hour. Now the sad part is I LOVE the skirt. It is nice and comfortable and cool and even the print is growing on me, but when I look at it on the hanger I am appalled at its hugeness and I hate that I love it.



And to top it all off this divine vintage pattern arrived in the post yesterday. I won it on ebay thinking it wouldn't need too much adjustment as I am small in the bust and the skirt is quite full anyway, all the better to hide my pear shape with. I realise now that I have been sadly mistaken when it comes to my measurements. It reminds me of that line from Seinfeld when Elaine says something like 'Is it possible that I am not as attractive as I think I am?'. She says it with such shocked exclamation. How could that possibly be true!!
Well that's me. I suffer from false body image in that I always think I am a size or two smaller than I really am. So now this dress is my motivation. I want to make this dress and I want to LOVE wearing this dress. So my goal is my birthday in december. I want this to be my christmas party season dress and I want to swish around the room in it while sipping a glass of champagne.



Now enough of this body image babble. I am off to hide the chocolate from myself before I forget I am on a diet. Arrrgggle!!

9 comments:

Clair said...

omg i could have written that entire post ingrid. I am very guilty of thinking of myself as being at least 2 sizes smaller than i actually am. It's not until i see a photo of myself, or go to make myself something that i realize that i am NOT the cute little size 12 i was before kids lol. It's very depressing sometimes isn't it. I love the fabric you have used for the skirt though. :)

Clair said...

omg i could have written that entire post ingrid. I am very guilty of thinking of myself as being at least 2 sizes smaller than i actually am. It's not until i see a photo of myself, or go to make myself something that i realize that i am NOT the cute little size 12 i was before kids lol. It's very depressing sometimes isn't it. I love the fabric you have used for the skirt though. :)

Leah said...

I too suffer from the "am I really THAT BIG?" mentality when I see photos of myself. That said, I am now banning photos of myself ;)
That skirt is great, I have some fabric to make one but without a pattern I am at a bit of a loss!
x

Belinda said...

I am with you all here too! The hot weather threw me too! I live in jeans now, but it was just too hot for them. And I am not that comfortable in skirts now. What do I do??

brazen's crafts said...

i'm a december baby too ingrid, when is yours? (i'm the 5th)

paula said...

what a fab vintage pattern :)

Helen said...

Ingrid, I love the skirts big flower pattern! Looks cool, as in temperature and being hip and groovy! LOL

Cass said...

Ingrid, I think we all probably feel like that, I know I definitely will when I have this baby. The skirt though looks fantastic though and doesn't look that big

candi said...

I do the same thing with the body image recognition! It's almost like a reverse anorexia!

I have just finished a skirt - must get some photos tomorrow...