Monday, November 06, 2006

Thrifted Fabric

I guess that there are probably quite a few of you who have experienced the thrill of finding something absolutely wonderful in a thrift store or op shop, so some of you may also have felt the utter heartbreak when the item in question doesn't end up coming home with you. On Saturday I found the most devine art deco style sideboard. It had been drastically reduced to $145 and then when I was told I could have it for $50 as they were about to unload another truckfull of furniture I nearly fell over with joy.

But then Mr Grumpy came along and insisted on being realistic by pointing out that we really had nowhere to put it and it was not very practical as a storage unit. Pfft, who cares about practicality when you can have beauty instead. Sadly this discussion was taking place with other bargain hunting vultures hovering around and waiting to see if my little 'hold' sticker was going to be peeled off or replaced with 'sold'. As Lottie was jumping around in need of yet another trip to the bathroom and mister monster was complaining because he was hungry and I had forgotten to pack the morning tea, I sadly gave up on the whole thing and left my treasure behind. This was the consolation prize. A bundle of vintage fabrics all for $6. It hardly compares, but what's a girl to do when she can't even lift a heavy box on her own let alone a massive sideboard.

The green one on top is my favourite, I just adore that shade of green. The bottom one is a gorgeous fruit and blossom print seersucker which runs a close second.


 Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Cass said...

Ingrid, you always find the most beautiful fabrics. Sorry about the sideboard.

Natalie said...

They are all lovely Ingrid. Shame about the sideboard, but then I guess that's $50 you can spend on fabric now? ;)

Andrea said...

I agree, they are just beautiful fabrics, looking forward to seeing what you create with them.
I like your favourite too, green is such a lovely calming colour.

Helen said...

Oh Ingrid, bummer about the sideboard not coming home with you. Beautiful fabric scores though!

Brown Pants said...

Oh No! Foiled by the curse of the sensible-man comments! Fabric is a nice consolation though :)

Linda said...

Gorgeous fabric fantastic find! :) I know that longing feeling when you walk away from a bargain and/or treasure and you know it won't be there next time, it happened to me on sunday and I could hardly breath all day, but by monday I was over it!!...mostly

Claire Falkigham said...

That gorgeous orange/yellow searsucker - love, love, love the colour, and I can't tell you how much I love searsucker! Sorry about the sideboard, art deco doesn't come around that often!