Friday, February 09, 2007

Valentine sewing

Well finally I have a post that contains some actual sewing! I started this top ages ago for the shop but after changing direction with it a few times and then getting frustrated at some mistakes, the choice was to unpick and start again or throw it in a corner and pretend it didn't exist. I choose the latter, and had actually forgotten about it until I was going through my fabric stash looking for something valentine-y to make for Lottie. I found the fabric and remembered the top and decided to give it another go. It's amazing how differently you can approach a project after a bit of a break. I changed the sleeves and am thrilled with how they have come out, even though I did struggle with the bias and after it was finished I had a lightbulb moment about the way I should have done it. Oh well, I still love it. But when I ended up trying it on her it only just fits. So instead I will make something else with the hearts for Lottie and this one will have to be for some other little sweetheart.
I think I will do one for Lottie eventually in this style. It is so sweet and perfect either in summer or in winter with a tee underneath.


Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Leah said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it Ingrid! OMG, that is so beautiful. The fabric, the sleeves are perfect! Ok, I'm gushing here but I just love the things you do. You definitely have your mojo back!!

tigerfilly said...

Ingrid that is just absolutely adorable. What shape is the pattern piece for the sleeves? Did you make up the pattern yourself? I love it!

Andrea said...

I love it too Ingrid. The style, the fabric, it just works so well. I am looking forward to next summer and making Ellyse more grown up clothes.

ingrid said...

Thanks girls,
Tigerfilly I have a vintage pattern that includes a top like this, dress and pants. But when I went to use it there were too many pieces torn and missing. So I used the front illustration and the pattern pieces illustrations on the instruction sheet and went from there. I think that is why I ended up changing plan so many times with it. Anyway the sleeve piece is like a deep fat 'D' with the curve attaching to the armhole. Does that make sense?

Kylie said...

Ingrid I think I have the same pattern in a size two - cant wait for Amelia to grow so she can fit into it.

I love the LOVE fabric - you are so talented and do such a great finished product.

Cass said...

Ingrid, I love it. I am just going to applique a heart shape on a tshirt for Charlotte to wear on Wed to pre-school. I got 2 fat quarters on ebay and was going to send one to my swapee but I loved them too much LOL.

Joanne said...

Ingrid, that is just too sweet for words! Beautiful!!

Helen said...

Ingrid, this is such a sweet top! Love how all the hearts go in the same direction too! Very chic!!

novy said...

Another stunning creation from you. I really like this one too. Hmm, which one don't I like? LOL