Thursday, May 03, 2007

Little Miss Muffett

When I first bought this vintage nursery rhyme print from ebay I wasn't really sure about it, but it was such a large piece at a good price so I couldn't say no. Anyhoo, now I just love it! How I could have almost overlooked its charm is beyond me. There is something so lovely about the simplicity of the print that makes me just go 'ohhhh' each time I look at it.


I decided to go all out nursery rhyme crazy and use almost all the fabric in one hit. This is my absolute favourite set I have made with it so far. I was planning on putting elastic in the sleeves, but I think they look much nicer loose. I had the perfect shade of blue cotton in my stash to use on the dress and then I added the ric rac to finish it off. The apron is a seperate piece so it can be worn on it's own and the spot brightens the whole thing up. There was an ink stamp close to the selvedge of the spot and I was just about to snip it off when I thought better of it. I am so glad I kept it there as it ended up near the end of one of the apron ties and makes even the spot fabric look a little vintage even though it really came off the bolt from Spotlight.




I am so pleased with how this has come out I think I may use it as the basis for Lottie's birthday dress this year. This one is going to the wahmania shop tonight with some other nursey rhyme things. It is a touch small for Lottie anyway, which makes it easier to say goodbye.

16 comments:

Kim said...

Ingrid, that is INCREDIBLE! You have the most amazing eye for colour. It definately has a bit of a boutique feel about it. Congratulations! :D

Suz said...

What a fantastic use of that fabric, Ingrid, and I love the red accents (I'm a sucker for red). Love the hair accessory too - so pretty!

Cass said...

Ingrid that looks lovely.

Natalie said...

Wow Ingrid, this outfit is just incredible!! I love the fabric combination and the addition of the hair bow too is just adorable.

Tamara said...

oh, so very very cute. i love the hair clip too. all put together so well, the red spots are perfect

Austy's Mum said...

That is FANTASTIC Ingrid! Very unique and will surely get many oooh's and aaaah's from just about anyone who sees her in it. Adorable!! You are so creative!

miss marzie said...

You have done a beautiful job. She just loooks gorgeous. The colours are my favourite combination. Love the hair accessory too.

Helen said...

Oh Ingrid, this looks stunning! Such a sweet little outfit, I like the detachable apron too! :)

Corrie said...

well done! look stunning! you did such a great job on them! love it and of course your gorgeous model!

look forward to catching up next week....maybe wednesday or thursday?????

Corrie:)

Steffi said...

Very nice fabrics and clothes!I like your blog!

Corrie said...

love all the things in your store at the moment! you have been so busy and jealous of all the sewing you have been up to!

i have a very sick bub and dr thinks she is still contagious so I'm going to post your pressie off tmrw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corrie:)

sue said...

What a gorgeous outfit. I love the fabric, and ric rac is always such a delightful addition to any little girls clothes I think.

Clair said...

This is so sweet. Miss Lottie looks gorgeous in red too. I love the red spotted fabric on the apron, beautiful touch.

leslie said...

hey that's such a cute outfit! i have the same fabric and i hate to burst your bubble but it's actually not vintage at all - mine is an intact single flat sheet with a tag from... TARGET! i couldn't believe it either and didn't notice until i got it home from the op shop. it's so faded i thought i'd had a great vintage score. oh well, still a fabulous print!

ingrid said...

Really Leslie! Oh well cute is cute no matter where it came from. You haven't burst my bubble. The piece I used seemed narrower than sheeting, had selvedges and was over 2 metres long. So maybe it was the target prototype, lol.

Bowznstuff said...

ooo super cute, yummy GORGEOUS! Great job :)
Cree