Friday, July 06, 2007

Nana's Treasures, part one

I have begun unpacking the boxes. Needless to to say it is sad but delightful task all at the same time. Here are my first show and tell pictures.
This the pile of kitchen linens. So many precious things here, but sadly a few have age marks and even what look like tiny rust spots. Any tips for getting these looking fresh again would be much appreciated. I am a bit scared to soak them in napisan in case it damages all the delicate embroidery.

Pretty glass bowls, just waiting to be filled with rasberry lemon trifle I think. Isn't the pink one lovely! These are all large serving bowls. The individual size dishes must be in another box.

And a sweet blue pyrex pie dish. I think this is my favourite. I love pyrex and already have a quite a collection, so this one won't feel lonely when it sits in the cupboard.

10 comments:

Natalie said...

this must be both a sad and happy time for you Ingrid. You have shown some lovely things, I also love the pink serving dish and the bright rose embroidered linen piece is very similar to one my mum made before she got sick.

Cass said...

Ingrid some lovely things from your Nana. I love pyrex too.

Claire Falkigham said...

How lovely to have these things, I know it's sad, but it's great that these things get to stay in the family - and with someone who loves them!

I've found the best things for stains/marks on linen is sunlight, not too much, but just enough. Hand wash them with a gentle saop (flakes are good) and then hang them in direct sun. I have some linen that I need to do this to myslef - the hard part then is knowing what to do with them, seems a waste to have them in the cupboard!

oldflowers4me said...

oh, you are so lucky to have your nanna's treasure's, the memorys just in her tablecloths, hop skip and jump love jo

Tamara said...

You are so lucky to have those things; beautiful, old and sentimental. And those things are lucky to have someone to love them.

Helen said...

Oh Ingrid, that fabric looks very you. Very precious. Going to keep some aside for DD? I like the pink bowl. :)

Corrie said...

oh such gorgeous things! you are very lucky to have them and nana can rest assured they are a good home! take care of them...they are simply beautiful and I am envious that they're at your house and not at mine

Corrie:)

SadieandLance said...

What a sad occassion but how lovely that you can keep those things living and breathing in your house. My old linen and crockery from my grandparents and great grandparents are some of my most treasured possessions.

purps said...

Ingrid, when we got DH's Grandmas linen I used sunlight soap and left it in the sun, sunlight works absolute wonders.

Jodie said...

You will think of nana everytime you use that blue bowl - I have one exactly the same from my nanna via my mom.
She used it to make a rice dessert and we use it for pie - it is old and worn and loved.