Sunday, July 15, 2007

Shopping in the Mountains

I had a lovely time shopping while we were in the mountains. Mr Big was thoughtful as ever and took the little ones off exploring parks while I browsed Mount Victoria, Leura and Blackheath.

Mount Victoria has the most lovely collection of little shops. In just one store I found this lovely knitted wool top for Lottie. It only just fits over her head, so she will be wearing it as much as possible in the coming weeks. The detail on it is so pretty.



I also discovered this dress making kit complete with all the pieces and a few extras inside as well. And lastly this lovely little soft toy book with all the patterns complete and unfolded in the back. Isn't this giraffe just the sweetest. My friend Jo had a new little baby boy last week and this might be just the welcome present I was looking for.



In the bookshop next door I found a great collection of old children's books. This one is my favourite.



In Blackheath I was a bit disappointed. There were lots of lovely things in the Victory Antique Centre, but sadly everything that caught my eye was well out of my price range. Lots of the smaller shops were shut as it was a Tuesday and I almost thought I would leave there empty handed. Then I remembered passing a small cottage just out of the main shopping strip that had a sign out the front. I walked back down and was a bit hesitant at first as it just looked like a house, but a small sign taped to the door said 'Open, please turn the key'. Well inside was an absolute fabric treasury, floor to ceiling shelves of fabric, walls of buttons, trims galore. It was fabric heaven! I could have spent hours in there trapped with so much deliciousness and out of the cold. It was very hard to show restraint, but I think I did rather well.

First up I chose these summer in the city prints to make a dress for Lottie in the springtime. I had tried to purchase the lovely bird print online a few weeks ago but it had sold out. So I couldn't believe my luck. And of course I had to get the matching ric rac as it all looks so lovely together.


Next I chose a pack of co-ordinates from the Free Spirit Mod girls range. These are going to be the basis of my first ever quilt. It is only a doll size quilt, but I figure that would be a good starting point. The amazing quilter Helen very generously sent me a pattern and now I just need to get it done in time for Lotties birthday. I also need to find a little cradle somewhere to go with it.



In Leura I found this sweet little deer pin by Marc Jacobs and I couldn't resist. It is perfect in every way and will be pinned on many outfits for both myself and Lottie. I only wish there had been two of them so we could have one each. I discovered him at Mrs Peel, which is a shop full to the brim of loveliness.



And lastly what trip to the Mountains would be complete without a stop at the Little Hartly Candy Shop. Yummy yummy. I am surprised these have lasted long enough to make the way home and get their picture taken.

11 comments:

Kylie said...

Oh Ingrid - What a fantastic time and hopping trip you had in the mountains - and how lovely of Mr Big to look after the two little ones so you could browse at your own leisure! Cant wait until spring has sprung to see the new outfit for Lottie!

Cass said...

Ingrid some great finds there. I am very jealous of that bird print as I tried to get it too but it was sold out on the site I looked at.

the humming cat said...

OMG I love that bird print, its too die for! Can I ask who's the designer is? I must try and hunt some down!

purps said...

Ingrid I love Miss C's top! Gorgeous!! You look like yu had a fab time!

Majeak Ann said...

Oh my, I am glad I found you! I adore your posts, so many cute and precious little things...
Please stop by my blog and say hi!
Have a great Sunday!

Marjorie Ann

Tamara said...

My grandparents live in Govett's Leap Rd, further up from the little store you were talking about. I have so so many fond memories of that town. It is lovely.

Clair Bremner said...

wow..what a great haul! Gorgeous fabrics, and i think you did very well to restrain yourself LOL.. i would have gone berserk tee hee

Helen said...

Beautiful pink fabrics Ingrid!!! I was drooling over my keyboard. :)

Cosy said...

What a wonderful holiday! I'm very envious of your fabulous fabric purchases.

Natalie said...

I love it all Ingrid, the books look fantastic, how cute are those softies!!!! I too can't wait to see a photo of Lottie's outfit, that fabric is just adorable :)

tigerfilly said...

Oh my, you did find some beauties! I think that fabric is wonderful too, and the little books are very sweet.