Monday, September 17, 2007

Morning tea


Fresh strawberries and lemon lamingtons. What a yummy morning tea. I didn't make the lamingtons, in fact I had never even heard of lemon lamingtons. I found them on the supermarket shelf and couldn't resist the pretty yellowyness. They tasted pretty good too.


Not that I should be indulging in any treats today. Yesterday we went to Euro-fest and stuffed ourselves silly on all kinds of delicious Euro delights. Mr Big went overboard at the Peruvian food stall buying a taster dish of almost everything they had on offer. I am a sucker for a good sausage. My mother is Austrian and I grew up on her wonderful tasty home cooking. So I couldn't resist getting both a bratwurst and a weisswurst yersterday, they came on plates piled high with extras like potato salad and sauerkraut. Yum yum. Of course they were to share with the kiddies. And then Lottie spotted the calamari stand and had to have some 'rings' as she calls them. So that meant yet another plate, this time a combo plate of marinated and grilled octopus salad and salt and pepper calamari.


Follow all that with some of the yummy tiny dutch pancakes, which I cannot for the life of me remember how to say let alone spell, and there were some very full tummies yesterday afternoon. It didn't stop the kids from bouncing away on the jumping castle or wanting an icecream as we were leaving. Honestly some days I cannot get my children to eat a thing and others I could swear they were hollow.


We will definitely go again next year, and try and be more prepared with sunscreen and hats, and also take the camera, which I realised had run out of batteries as we were about to leave the house yesterday.

10 comments:

lolliegirl said...

It sounds like a fabulous day out! My mouth is just watering from reading about it.

Cathy said...

what fun - all that good food.

By the way, a European lady once told me how to pronounce the word (I can't spell it) that is the little pancakes.

Poffergies - it sounds similar to sausages (sort of) and that is how I remember.

Belinda said...

SOunds like a fantastic day!
I just pulled out my Dutch-English dictionary.
Cathy was close, it is spelt poffertjes - with pronunciation poffert-yuhs......yum, a favourite in this house.

The Humming Cat said...

Salt and pepper calamari, mmmmmmm one of my all time faves, yummo!

Lily said...

Lemon lamingtons! I am keen to try some of them out lemme tell you!

Fiona said...

Those pancakes are yum! You can actually buy a cast iron poffertjes pan from ebay. I have no affiliation, but I bought one and cook them at home now using the traditional recipe supplied with the pan. BTW, I love your blog.

Helen said...

Lemon Lamingtons?? I'd never heard of them either. As good as chocolate?

Heleen said...

Yes, those little pancakes are poffertjes. I'm Dutch and my children love them to! I love your blog and put it at my favorite list. I've started blogging recencly. so till next time.

tigerfilly said...

Ooo how yummy. How do you get such delicious looking photos, it almost looks loke you could eat it off the screen!?! Love you rlittle owl too :)

Hollabee said...

Sounds like great fun...and I missed it :(
Great blog, I love it!