Sunday, October 07, 2007

summer in the suburbs

I decided to put aside a whole pile of UFOs that I am amassing for the shop, custom orders and for a big grand opening here, and instead make something for my own kids for a change. As much as I love sewing for other people I do sometimes find my motivation waning when everything is for someone else. Lottie has a whole pile of special fabric set aside especially for her in my stash and as she had a birthday party to attend today I thought it was time to dive in and chop up some lovely prints.


I bought these summer in the city prints when we were in the mountains. They are just so special, and needed a very simple style to show them off and let the fabric do its business being pretty without me cluttering it up too much. So I made a 'Sally' dress and added an extra band around the hem. I love it! It is perfect for lazy days at home, a trip to the beach and even for a birthday party. I think this is my favourite style for this summer, so I will be making a few more for her wardrobe. She can even wear this style to kinder as long as she pops a tee underneath, they have a shoulders covered sunsafe rule there, but I am happy to just smother her with 30+ the rest of the time.




10 comments:

Emma said...

I love your work! I can see myself getting plenty on things for Eleanor from you when she's a bit bigger!

Helen said...

What a cute dress Ingrid! The shoulder covered sunsafe rule sounds like a fantastci idea. I'll get to the button tomorrow hopefully... busy weekend!

Corrie said...

adorable! we're heading to the blue mountains this weekend so I must get the address of the fabric store!

Corrie:)

Lily said...

It's gorgeous Ingrid - and you're right the simple dresses are sometimes the best when you have fabulous fabric to work with :)

The Humming Cat said...

Its cold, wet and rainy here, I need a summer dress for Cate to warm us up!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lotties new dress, just so summery.
Cate talks bird you know, she tells everyone "I can talk bird" then sees a bird and copies its squawk!

Claire Falkingham said...

GORGEOUS dress Ingrid, and Lottie has such lovley colouring, she could wear anything!

Little Munchkins said...

It is adorable! The fabric is just perfect for the dress too.

Hazel said...

Absolutely beautiful (as usual), Ingrid! That fabric is adorable.

Clair Bremner said...

I adore that style of dress as well. I have already made one like that for charlee for summer and have plans for many more. So quick and easy. And charlee has a thing for pockets too, and this type of dress is perfectly suited for them.

Austy's Mum said...

Oooooooh that dress is simply GORGEOUS!!!! I love it and it relaly suits her. My favourite prints at the moment.