Monday, December 03, 2007

Christmas sugar cookies


These are only for those who want a truly sugary Christmas fix. They are sickly sweet once glazed and decorated but boy they sure look pretty.
Christmas sugar cookies
2 1/3 cups of plain flour
1 teaspoon bi carb soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
250g butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanillin sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Mix together flour, bi carb and salt. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanillin sugar and essence. Gradually stir in flour mixture until well combined. Refridgerate dough at least one hour.
Preheat oven to 190C. Roll dough into small balls just larger than a teaspoon and place on greased baking trays. Press balls down with base of a glss to flatten. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden. Cool on trays for 2-3 minutes then move to racks until completely cooled.
Glaze
1 cup icing sugar
4-5 teaspoons of milk
1 teaspoon vanillin sugar
food dye and decorations.
Mix everything except dyes and decorations. You may need to add a few drops more or less milk to get the right consistency. Seperate into bowls and add colourings. Glaze the top of each cookie and decorate as desired.
This is great messy fun for the kids. The unglazed cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container for almost a week but they never last that long in this house. Once they are glazed they are not as crisp but are still delicious for a few days.
This recipe makes LOTS of cookies so we tend to glaze and decorate only half at a time.

8 comments:

Corrie said...

ohhhhhhh I'm going to make some with miss keira after the move! they look tres festive!!!

Corrie:)

Jodie said...

The do look very very christmasy, my kids would love them.

Ainslie said...

Mmmmmm...they look so pretty and yummy. I'll definitely be giving those a go. Thanks so much Ingrid for listing me on your Blog....I was very excited when I spotted my name there!!! I think that's a first for me.

Di said...

These remind me of my mum's sugar cookies!! Lovely!

Claire Falkingham said...

Thanks for sharing - I'm going to be making these for sure!

Little Munchkins said...

Oh my, they look really yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I might have a go one day.

Andrea said...

Mmm, great sprinkles Ingrid. They look yummy yummy.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Ohhh! They look delicious!