Wednesday, December 19, 2007

one down, one to go

Phew, I did it. Christmas outfit number one was completed just in the nick of time for Lottie to wear to the playgroup Christmas party this morning.





I normally am a sew-it-my-way kind of gal. I use patterns as guidelines not rules. After picking out the pattern and fabric I knew how I wanted to make this dress my own way, but due to time pressures I caved in and thought I'd just stick to the pattern. That would be easier and quicker, right? WRONG. About half way through I realised I should have just cut it out the way I had in my head. When I got to the part in the instructions that said to bind the armhole front and backs separately before the sides were even sewn together I knew I had messed up big time. I should never have doubted my ability to put together a simple dress in my own way. I ended up tearing my hair out over basic little things I normally don't bat an eyelid at. By the time I went to bed last night I never wanted to see the blasted thing again.





Of course when she popped it on this morning and looked so darn adorable, I fell in love with it. I made little shorts to wear underneath but it is long enough to not need them. I might whip up a little matching tank top to go with the shorts so she gets two outfits.





The party was a hit. Santa arrived on a firetruck and handed out lots of goodies. The kids went wild on sugar and had a ball in the playground. I sweltered under a tree and pondered if I could possibly hate the humidity this summer any more than I already do. And poor old Santa in his wooly red suit looked like he was in desperate need of a cold beer.


13 comments:

Claire Falkingham said...

Oh it's gorgeous, Katie Jump Rope is my all time favorite dress making fabric! I know what you mean about patterns, I have the same problem, everytime I follow one verbatim, I'm doing Parker a Chrissy day dress from a vintage pattern, and it's half finished - mmm, might stay that way!

Tamara said...

You have got vision girl! I didn't expect it to be nearly that cute when you showed a few pics the other day. Perfect choice for the fabric, perfect choice for the pattern.
I can't believe you are still blogging at this crazy time.

Marie said...

Love that style Ingrid. And yep, do what you think is best because vintage pattern directions are often way outdated and not really the best way to do it anymore, with all the gadgets, gizmos and resources available now.

Cass said...

Ingrid I love the dress. I hate patterns too and would rather "wing it". It looks lovely on Lottie though and it was humid today wasn't it.

Jodie said...

eek...Katie jump rope is such gorgeous fabric.
That is one cute dress no matter how it came together.

Toria said...

That is a seriously cute dress & looks gorgeous on her. Looks like she had fun at the party too!

starashan said...

wow, love that dress, gorgeous fabric... and yay for good ole Santa stil arriving on a Firetruck... I remember that from when I was a kid.

Suz said...

The dress looks lovely, Ingrid. I'm the oppostie I'm afraid - way too left brain to sew without a pattern! I wish I had your creativity.

Nanette said...

To die for, that dress and excellent combinations in fabric. I adore the collar most of all.
x

Kylie said...

Oh Ingrid - It is lovely - I love the neck line - you have done a fab job at it and she looks TDF in it!

Clair said...

it looks gorgeous, and i'm with you, i hardly ever follow the pattern and when i do i always end up more confused, especally with the vintage ones...thwy always seem to go about things in the most difficult way....

Bec said...

Gorgeous dress!! I love the bit around the neck - in fact, I'd love a dress like that for myself!!! You daughter looks so sweet in it.

Merry Christmas!

nikkishell said...

What a wonderful dress!!!! I love the pattern you used. Now i need to go hunting in my pattern stash to see if i have something similar otherwise i'll be hunting around the op shops and Ebay i think.