Tuesday, February 12, 2008

quilt for Auden

One of my dearest girlfriends had the sweetest little baby boy last November. His name is Auden and he is so fresh and lovely (I am sure he will be lovely when he isnt quite so fresh, but I have this thing for newborns and their freshness). I wanted to make something special for him but was a bit nervous about doing a quilt as I had only ever attempted the teeny tiny doll size variety before. Anyhoo, I saw these charm squares over at the fat quarter shop and knew they would be perfect. Plus it would be near impossible to stuff up a quilt made from pre-cut charm squares right?



I am so happy to say it came out a treat. I took the easy option with the quilting too and went for simple squares a quarter inch in from the seams. I like to think I was going for the simple classic look rather than the easy one. And I know I have lamented here before about the drudgery of hand sewing, but I have to announce that hand sewing is now one of my new favourite things. I have mastered it well enough to get in a rhythm and be able to sit all comfy in a chair and listen to tv at the same time. So sewing down the binding was rather peaceful and my favourite part of the whole process.




I will be delivering it in person this week and hope to catch a cuddle with the little guy at the same time.

25 comments:

Sarah C said...

This quilt is magnificent. Simple but stunning.

I am inspired to make one.

Cass said...

Great quilt Ingrid but I can't agree on the hand sewing, sorry

Tara said...

I adore it. That is the most precious quilt.

SadieandLance said...

Auden is one lucky little boy! I can't believe that's your first go at a 'proper' quilt.

Hand sewing is one of my favourite things to do.

OH and PS I'm happy to offer up the Smurf for any cuddling - not that he's a newborn anymore.

Lola...again said...

Oh! I love it! You have great taste in fabric!

Marina said...

I also can't believe that's your first quilt - it's magnificent. Despite lots and lots (!) of sewing I've never attempted a quilt and yours definitely inspires me.....

Marie said...

Gorgeous work - what a lovely present.

Tamara said...

Oh I love the colourfulness. Beautiful!

I just finished a quick quilt for Eddie but I cheated on the binding and machine stitched it.

Scrapsister said...

I am so excited to see this here. It is the exact charm squares I am preparing to use for my next quilt and had planned to do a search for some quilts in that range! This is divine. I adore the backing and binding especially.
Mmmmm newborns. Nothing like inhaling that sweet youth right through the tops of their tiny heads ;)
Kerryn

Bec said...

That is a really gorgeous quilt. And I love the backing fabric! I'm sure it will be a very treasured gift.

Helen said...

Ingrid it looks fantastic! Great job!! The quilting looks lovely, simple and elegant and classic!

Kylie said...

Ingrid you have done a great job with this - yes classical look I would say! I am sure the little freshman and his mum will love it!

Corrie said...

oh it looks gorgeous! I always try to do something fancy with the charm squares but I think you've shown its not necessary!

i know that will be treasured!
Corrie:)

starashan said...

Wow, Ingrid. That's amazing work.
-Sherrin

boobook said...

What a beautiful quilt!!
great job

Jodie said...

love it ! Love it ! Just amazing.

AJ said...

WOW Great work...the quilting looks great on the back too!!

Binding is my favourite part too!! So relaxing and knowing that you have finished is a treasure in itself!

Heids said...

Definitely classic - just gorgeous, Ingrid. I agree with AJ - it is the perfect quilitng for that backing.

Heleen said...

It's adorable, what a luckey boy to get such a nice quilt!

Sammy Sparrow said...

Ingrid, that is beautiful!
Tash

Treasa said...

Such a cute quilt. You did a great job on it.

Jodi Renshaw said...

I feel inspired. This quilt is so much fun :)

Anamaria said...

This quilt is gorgeous and has inspired me to make my first quilt! Just one question, did you pre-wash all those charm squares? What about the rest of the fabric? Thanks!

ingrid said...

Anamaria, I didnt wash the charm squares because I am sure they would lose their shape and perhaps fray and then be impossible to work with. So seeing as I didnt wash them I didnt wash any of the backing or binding either. A little bit f shrinkage in the first wash adds to the quiltiness in my opinion, and tbh I am just too lazy to prewash! :-)

Anamaria said...

Thanks for the quick reply, Ingrid. And thanks again for the inspiration :)