Friday, February 01, 2008

time to thrift

Mister monster started three year old kinder yesterday, so two days a week I wave goodbye to the two little ones and find myself with practically a whole day to myself for the first time in four and a half years. So whats a girl to do? Hit the op-shops of course!

It has been ages since I went thrifting and so it was nice to find a few special things, especially since it took me almost twenty minutes of driving around in the rain to find a carpark. And although I am really trying to cut back on buying and collecting, I didnt feel guilty as I dropped off two boxes and a huge garbage bag full of donations while I was there.


So here is the loot.......

vintage kids books at 20 cents a pop

A one dollar Tinker Book illustrated by the wonderful Marcel Marlier

Vintage tablecloths. The beautiful rose one is deliciously heavy and in perfect condition, it cost $4 and the other one was $3.

And lastly some pretty Pyrex. The small yellow bowl is destined to become Mr Bigs new breakfast bowl. I hate the one he is using at the moment and this one is just the perfect size and shape to replace it. Such sunshiny yellowness will be the perfect way to start his day and for $1 I couldnt resist. The larger one is a small mixing bowl and was $3. It will be a nice addition to my growing Pyrex collection. I think I am spending too much time here and here, as I keep seeing more and more pieces I want to hunt down.

Please excuse the lack of apostrophies. My keyboard seems to think they are no longer nescessary.

11 comments:

Sheridan said...

Nice haul! I am so chuffed to find another Pyrex fan. It's always the first thing I go for in op shops.

Bec said...

What great finds. I really love those tablecloths, especially the orange one! And I'm trying very hard to take no notice of the pyrex dishes (I really don't need another obsession !!!)

Helen said...

Sounds like perfect shopping Ingrid! I brought Atonement today too. ;)

starashan said...

love the pyrex Ingrid... I can't help but collect it too :o)

Ainslie said...

How exciting for you to have two days to yourself. I think that's the perfect balance of free time. My youngest starts full-time school this year and I'm wondering what I'll do with five days child-free??? All alone??? No little one to keep me company anymore. Sob, sob, sob. But life goes on, right???

Natalie said...

I love seeing all the little treasures you seem to find (with a twinge of jealousy too!) Jai has O/C at kindy next week, so think I might see if I can find a new OP shop filled with goodies too. Those tablecloths you found are just lovely.

bowerbird said...

oohhh, I love the pyrex too! judging by some of the previous comments we have a little underground pyrex movement in our midst.

Great blog - I shall be back!

Paige said...

Great finds! Thrifting is one of my all-time favorite things to do, too. Now I'm thinking about all that Pyrex in my favorite local antique mall...

samantha said...

I have only just got back into op shopping this year, but haven't found in such loveliness yet. enjoy that time to yourself.
P.s. the christmas dress you made was absolutely gorgeous too.

Ainslie said...

Just had to leave another comment to say I've nominated you for the 'You Make My Day' award on my blog.

Dees said...

Wow what great finds!isn't vintage shopping the best thing to do for a girl!xoxo