Monday, March 10, 2008

thrifty goodness

One of my local opshops is wonderful. It has friendly staff, great bargains and is huge. The other is always really dirty, and I mean nasty yuck dirty, not just dusty old dirty, plus the staff are always a bit on the rude side and I as much as I love a bargain I had given up on going there as it was always such an unpleasant experience and I would come home feeling like a needed a shower. Well the last few times I have been to my #1 shop I have been a bit let down, so I thought I would head back to the dirty one and give it another chance. I mean every thrifting gal knows that you have to shop around, you cant become too complacent in your visits or you will miss out on the bargains.

And boy oh boy was I glad I went. Here is the haul. The books are dusty and the linens needed a good long soak, but it was well worth the trip.
Two lovely tablecloths and a napkin. A little patchwork doll quilt and a delightful set of embroidered pillowslips. All together the linens were $5. Twenty nine wonderful little golden books. These were only 20c each! There was a huge box of them and I only took about a third. Hopefully the rest will go to lovely homes too.



10 comments:

CurlyPops said...

The little patchwork quilt is so beautiful. Why would anybody throw that away?

Jodie said...

Great finds Ingrid. It does pay to op-shop around a bit.

Cathy said...

I just love the cowboy cloth. Very cute - wish I could find something like that.

Good on you for trying out the dirty shop again. We have a couple like that around here too.

Cass said...

Those books look in great condition. I will definitely have to get down there.

Lily and Agathe said...

Ohh I have little golden book envy!

Heleen said...

Great catch! All the goodies are beautifull!

Brenda said...

ooooh, that covered wagon napkin, nice!

Tamara said...

I don't know how you do it Ingrid. I never see the gorgeous old Golden Books like that.
Just beautiful!

Corrie said...

ok so are your locals salvo and vinnies in brookvale???? if you got all that at vinnies in brookvale I'm super jealous! they must be missing my patronage!

corrie:)

Ulla said...

I have 12 old Golden books and they look exactly the same here in Finland. There are also Silver books which are not hard cover. -I sympathize with anyone trying not to buy new fabric. I decided I can buy something new when I have used two old ones, or finished one project using recently bought fabric.