Tuesday, June 24, 2008

anyone for cake?

Can there ever be too much pink, or too many spots, or too much ric rac? Maybe there can be just the right amount of each all in the one dress. Surely that would keep any four year old candy pink twirly dress obsessed kid happy.






I used this vintage pattern (style 1485) from 1976 and went for the ruffle sleeve version. There were quite a few adjustments though as the pattern was a size too small. I wanted the sleeves to be fully lined as that style always shows the underside so much, then we had to add a little cake applique and an extra ruffle for good measure (The truth is I cut out the back of the bodice incorrectly and then I didnt have enough denim to cut another piece. So one thing led to another and once I decided on replacing that section with the pink spot I had to of course make it look intentional, hence the sleeve linings and extra ruffle).



As much as I love this sweet and delicious petit gateau kokka fabric, I dont love this dress. Lucky it isnt for me. Lottie loves it and has barely taken it off since I finished it. She will be wearing it over jeans or tights until the weather warms up and I think I may even make a few more for summer in some breezy old floral sheets.
That would be much more my style.

17 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I think it's absolutely beautiful but I can just imagine a summery version made from a vintage sheet...it would be gorgeous!

Bird Bath said...

What a beauty! I adore the colour/ ric-rac/ ruffles. It's interesting to hear about how your design come about...
and the model looks very happy with the outcome :) Hope to see the summer versions too!

Cascade Lily said...

Well it would look a little funny on a fully grown woman :D

No wonder Lottie loves it. It's beautiful. And the 'accidental' placement of the pink dots fabric made it all the better. Great work!

Little Munchkins said...

It gorgeous. I can see why Lottie loves it.

Lisa said...

Such a gorgeous dress. The little recipient looks so adorable.

Juni said...

You have done a wonderfully creative job with your additions and alterations! I would have been in tears but you have been very creative and it works well.

JustJess said...

It's beautiful - Lottie looks gorgeous and so proud of her new dress!

megsie said...

love it Ingrid! The alterations make it just a bit more special I think. I really love the mismatch back and might even borrow that idea for Tully's next dress:)If you don't mind (sheepish grin) Lottie looks truly stoked with it as any little girl would be.

Xiola said...

Can't wait to see the sheet versions......you know I love a vintage sheet dress!!

Jodie said...

It looks great and I think summer sheet ones would be lovely !
I love the little sleeve ruffles.

Natalie said...

This is just adorable Ingrid! I love the combination of the different fabrics, the ruffles are gorgeous and I agree that there can never be too much pink or ric rac!

Bec said...

This is just beautiful. And if you'd made it for me I would barely take it off either!!! I can totally see why Lottie loves it so much :)

Amanda said...

I've given you a blog award, check my blog! PS, I don't have the option on your blog to link to my new blog for some reason (I think you can change it in your settings or something). I can only link to my old blogger blog! Anyway, the blog I'm using right now is:

http://blogs.oddsocks.net/ahunt

thetinylittlegirl said...

so cute! and i love ric-rac so. :-)

edward and lilly said...

It's really sweet, and no there can never be too much ric rac, or pink!

Smila said...

It is really beautiful!

Smila

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

I love it - i think my Mum made me a dress from that pattern in the 70's! Can't beat cupcakes and ruffles.