Monday, August 25, 2008

this is....

...my favourite children's book.


The Princess and the Pea. As a child I remember having one of those big books full of bedtime stories and The Princess and the Pea was my favourite. Sadly I no longer have that particular book, but I do have a few other versions.





This one is an old Rand McNally Book. I think it is from the early 1970s. These Rand McNally books are fabulous. They have gorgeous illustrations and are perfect for little ones as the stories are generally very simplified so even a young toddler can make it to the end.





And this version is by Lauren Child and Polly Borland. The images are mesmerising and the story beautifully retold in a more complex way. It is a must for all Lauren Child fans and every little girl over 5.

This weeks this is theme by pottymouthmumma was super hard as I have so so many favourite childrens books. I have been collecting them for a long time and they are some of my most treasured possessions. Finally it came down to a toss up between The Princess and the Pea and the Pookie books by Ivy L Wallace. The Pea won but I just cant leave out my favourite little bunny with wings.

8 comments:

Bird Bath said...

Oh Yes! love the princess and the pea.....I'm keen to have a closer look at the Lauren Child's version.
We have a few of her other books and they're the ones that get read over and over again.

katiecrackernuts said...

Nice pics on both versions. I call my 17-year-old the princess and the pea girl. Nothing is ever to her liking.

Little Munchkins said...

I loved that book too. Mine was a ladybird book I remember.

Marina said...

I love that image of the Princess climbing the ladder in the Rand Mcnally version. I also love the Lauren Child one - it's so exquisite and I've bought it as a present for a couple of little girls......

AnastasiaC said...

lauren child's illustrations are so wonderful but i do love the vintage version too...adorable!!

Heleen said...

Good choice! I love all the pictures you made from these books!
I read the story every year in my class!

clare Carter said...

I LOVE Lauren Child!! I'm sure that if we met we would be absolutely and completely best best friends ever!!!A very talented lady.

Moiface said...

The second version looks really cool!