Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A week of baking - orange breakfast muffins

These are real muffins. Not cake but muffins. They are super light, deliciously crumbly and not too sweet, which is a good excuse to add a dollop of jam or a drizzle of honey. Perfect served with fresh coffee or a cup of earl grey tea at breakfast time.




Nigellas orange breakfast muffins
75g unsalted butter melted
250g SR flour
25 g ground almonds
1/2 tsp bi carb soda
1 tsp baking powder
75g caster sugar
zest of 1 orange
100ml fresh squeezed orange juice
100ml milk
1 egg


Combine dry ingredients and zest in a large bowl.
Whisk together juice milk and egg and then butter.
Add wet ingredients to dry and mix lightly with a fork. Do not overwork the mixture, it should be lumpy.
Divide into mix into 12 muffin cases.
Bake for 20 minutes at 200 degrees c

They taste the best when they are still hot from the oven. Yum yum.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh Yummy. Thanks for sharing :)

Xiola said...

Just perfect to use up the left-over juice I've got! Thanks for sharing, they look delicious :)

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

Thanks Ingrid, I just made some of these, but I didn't have enough mixture for 12 - I've made 8 - does that sound right? I've used the paper cups, and they are a little high. They'll be out in 20 mins, so I'll let you know how they go!

Deb said...

These look delicious! Thanks for the recipe. I'm making these tomorrow morning.

Selina said...

Nice recipe, I will try it out. Great idea for breakfast, especially with vistors staying.