Saturday, November 07, 2009

catching up

There is so much catching up to do here on my little blog. Sorry I have been away so long. Firstly the markets. Sadly they were not a great success for me this time. I think it was a combination of not having much to sell and my prices, which just can't compete with the plastic wrapped $5-$10 bargains some stalls had. There were also quite a few more stalls selling vintagey fabric styles, often at a much cheaper price than mine. But what is a girl to do? I work hard making my things special and don't want to undervalue my time and effort, but I do want to make something other people can afford and are willing to pay. I obviously don't have the right balance just yet, but it is something to work on before the next market day. These are a few of the little pini and pant sets that came home with me.
I did have a lovely time chatting to bloggy friends and crafty ladies and Kitty was a fabulous show and tell piece. I must say the hugest thank you to Cass for working so hard manning our stall all day while I did mummy duty. She is a superstar! And I am happy to say she had a much better day than me with her fabulous bags and quirky handmade kids games and goodies being snatched up by everyone. Well done Cass!
I did come home with a very special treat made by Clare but you will have to wait for pics of that, so that I can do it justice and show it off properly. Thank you Clare, we love it!
And then this week my big boy turned 19! Yes that's right, I can hardly believe it myself. I have an adult son and a baby and have been a mother for over half my life!
As for crafting I am still slogging away at the cushions and they are almost done. I can't wait to share how they have come out, they are looking so lovely. Kitty's quilt is almost ready to bind and I have started another one for a new baby boy who arrived fresh this morning. Tomorrow is our kindy market day so I am baking banana bread for the cake stall. And that's it for today. Hopefully it won't be quite so long between posts next time.

15 comments:

Em said...

It is the hardest thing to price something that you have made... I know.... But never undervalue yourself! Knowing how much work goes into handmade, and knowing how hard it can be to source beautiful vintage fabrics. You have a flair, sewing is a skill and a dying art. I find people can often be jealous of such wonderful skills! I think you outfits are gorgeous! What size are they?????

Tamara said...

Oh take heart Ingrid. Markets are so hard. It must of been such an effort to get there and then not to have it worth while. Hopefully you will sell your gorgeous wres in your shop.

Definately don't undervalue your work.

Cass said...

Well it's about time you are back! It was lovely once again to share the space with you, I jsut wish I could have sold more of your lovely stuff or that I had a baby that needed them, no on second thoughts I don't wish that! See you soon

JazyJae's said...

I know what you mean. The market I was doing really well at is now really hard to justify going but I know if I didn't my regulars would be lost. I've also found the ones who have no idea how much work goes into not just sewing the gament but also into sourcing fabrics are the ones who balk at the price the most or the ones who think they could make it for cheaper.
Don't give up I'm in awe of your lovely things.

Karen said...

Lovely to 'hear' from you again Ingrid.
Sorry the markets didn't work so well - it's a shame that at a market that deals with handmade items people stil don't appreciate the time and effort that goes into making things.
Stand your ground though - your stuff is worth it.

Miss Amy said...

They are beautiful Ingrid. I agree, its hard to price your time at a rate that people are willing to pay. I feel I sometimes have the same problem... But stick to it and as others have said... dont undervalue yourself, without you, the items wouldnt exist. :)

megsie said...

ohhhh Ingrid! love your stuff! come back to ozebaby!!!!!! I want that little yellow set for my sweet Sage;)

Duyvken said...

I don't know how I missed you at the markets, I was dying to meet Kitty!
Those bloomer and pinny sets are adorable.
It is hard to set prices and you are right to not undervalue your work.

Lesley said...

I agree with Megsie come back to OZeBaby I keep peeking hoping you are back, though I know how hard it is with a little one :)

You do beautiful work and you are so right in not underselling yourself.

debra said...

Oh your pieces are adorable...good luck with the next market and good for you striking your balance..i am sure you love your work but after all it is not a love job..stick with it..i think people are prepared to pay for something made well and from good materials etc....:)

Corrie said...

Ingrid I've missed you!!!!!!!!! I kept checking your blog all the time for updates! phew!

what a shame about the markets!!!!! I would love to take some of those to my december market if you'd like me to! especially that bambi, oh my goodness me how could anyone refuse to buy that!!

i'll send you a message
Corrie:)

beeware said...

Ohhh..such a busy life with 3 young kids and one big one. You do so well. Love your style!! Do not be dispirited. I was disappointed not to be able to make it to the market this time but life is like that sometimes. All the best to you :)

Claire said...

Oh these sets are gorgeous! I am sure they will be snapped up soon. Your items are always so beautiful & certainly an inspiration for me!

AnastasiaC said...

Pricing is always so tricky and many people always neglect to add their time - low prices for handmade goods hurts everyone....sorry to hear the markets werent a success for you - they werent advertised much were they?
im sure they were still fun! I hope to do a craft/market stall next year!

spectacularfairywren said...

Ingrid - your pieces are the 00 ones I have wrapped in tissue to keep forever...
Don't question their value - they are just as important to us!

We lvoe your work but your other role is so important too. Just do what makes you feel good.
Perhaps customs?