Monday, May 10, 2010

baby food recipes

Peta asked me back in the comments here if I would share some of my baby food recipes. The thing is I don't really use recipes. Most of the time I just wing it based on adult versions of the same meals. I will give a run down on these two favourites, but you will have to excuse the lack of exact measurements.

Lamb and cous cous

2 small lamb leg steaks - I use these because they are relatively fat free and easy to cook, you could use any kind of trimmed boneless lamb
1 small onion - I like to use spanish, so sometimes only use a half
assorted veg - I use whatever is in the fridge that goes well with the lamb. The last batch I made I used 1 large zucchini, 1 large carrot, 1/4 of a butternut pumpkin and a white sweet potato.
cous cous - about 1/3 a cup
1/2 teasppon of crushed garlic
olive or canola oil

Chop the lamb into large pieces.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the finely diced onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes to soften then add the lamb. Cook until browned. Sometimes I add a sprinkle of cumin or some other dried herbs at this point.
Add the chopped vegies and cover with water or stock if you have some. Cover by at least an inch as you will need the liquid to absorb the cous cous later.
Simmer covered on low heat until all the vegies are soft.
Remove the lamb pieces and about a quarter of the veg with enough liquid to blend. I use a stick blender, but you can put it in a blender if that is all you have. You want this portion pureed quite finely.
Add your cous cous to the original pot with the remainder of the vegetables and liquid. Replace lid and remove from heat.
In about 5 minutes you will find that all the cous cous is soft. If it is still too liquidy you can add a bit more cous cous and close the lid again or if you find you did not have enough liquid you can add some fresh boiled water. When you are happy with the absorption then you can mash this batch to your desired consistency. I have never done completely smooth puree for my babies so I just use a hand masher and leave it quite chunky. If you have a younger baby you could puree it smoother with a stick blender, but I don't find it necessary.
Tip your lamb puree back into the veg/cous cous pot and stir to combine.
When cool place in individual portion size containers to freeze.

sweet potato, spinach and ricotta pasta

1 large orange sweet potato
1 cube of frozen spinach
1/2 small tub of smooth organic ricotta
1 heaped tablespoon of finely grated parmesan
3/4 cup baby pasta or soup pasta

Cook your pasta in boiling water until tender.
Meanwhile put your chopped sweet potato and spinach cube in a saucepan and cover with water. Simmer until tender. Sometimes I roast the sweet potato instead, in which case I zap the spinach cube in the microwave and then add it to the potato with some extra water before mashing.
Mash or puree the veg, stir in the ricotta and parmesan and then the cooked pasta. If it is too thick add extra water until you have the right consistency.
When cool place in individual portion size containers to freeze.
When serving this one I often top with a bit more grated parmesan.

1 comment:

Peta said...

thanks ingrid :) will whip these up tomorrow x