Saturday, May 08, 2010

feeding the little ones



I have a confession. I love making baby food better than any other kind of cooking. There is something so satisfying about creating delicious healthy tubs of goodness and filling my freezer with them. I even love writing out all the little labels. It helps of course that the wee one gobbles it all up with gusto. I will even brag that my baby food is so delicious that when served on hot toast with a grind of salt and pepper, it makes a very satisfying supper for big people as well.



Today I made a batch of lamb and cous cous. While that was simmering away on the stove I cooked up some of Annabel Karmel's chicken sliders for lunch. I used thigh fillet and multigrain bread in mine and substituted mango chutney for the the tomato as that was all I had in the fridge. The kids loved them and so did the grown ups. I think Kitty liked them best of all.


11 comments:

Fran said...

Mmmm can i come to your house for lunch (and dinner)??

Kitty is looking sooo grown up - she is adorable!!!

sophie said...

holy cow Ingrid, are you ever organised! All that baby food looks so good - lucky Kitty!

CurlyPops said...

Yum that's making me hungry....

Karen said...

They all sound seriously Yum!! No wonder Kitty gobbles it up.

Posie Patchwork said...

I will join in that confession, i can remember all those lovely happy cooking sessions once a month with bulk mashing, steaming & all round vegetable variety going on. Have to admit, my 4th didn't get anything mashed, didn't hurt him, we'd just cook regular food & fork it to pieces. Love Posie

Donna said...

The chicken recipe sounds so good, thank you for posting!

SweetPeaknits said...

I used to love making baby food too. And, like you, I loved being so organised. I hate to say it, but my little one only eats chips and bread now. He's three, "they" say its a faze.

Cass said...

Look at you Martha Stewart!

Miss Amy said...

I too am a baby food maker and labeller. I will even confess that I made custard, blamange and rice pudding from breast milk for my lactose intolerant babe up until she was about 18mths old :)

Peta said...

all those little boxes look so cute lined up! care to share any recipes? I have a very hungry 7 month old who needs more than just veg. I would love to see how you do your sw. potato ricotta pasta and your lamb and cous cous .... please?

naomi said...

wow, you are the baby food queen! Jude often gets stuck eating bananas and avocados because I have forgotten about his food. He would be in heaven at your place!