Tuesday, May 17, 2011

KCWC wrap up

The challenge finished last week, but I am late as usual, blame blogger this time though, I really truly did have this finished last week (well maybe I did sew a snap on last night, but surely that doesn't count).

I only completed three items, but considering one was a coat I am happy with that. I made Kitty's ruffle skirt and then another one for Lottie. I had wanted Lotties to be shorter and super full but she wanted it to be knee length which meant I didn't have enough fabric to make it really full. I am heading back to Spotlight to pick up some more in black as I am determined to make a really full fluffy tutu style one for at least one of the girls. Lottie seems to be getting fussy so it will probably be Kitty, at least she lets me dress her up how ever I like.
{Oh how I love it when they have no opinion and let me do as I please}
Here is Lottie all dressed up for a disco karaoke party - side pony and all!





For the coat I used the heidi & finn swing coat pattern. I will start by saying that I hate pdf patterns and it has to be a pretty cute pattern to make me buy it in the first place, so while I obviously love the style of this, it did nothing to win me over to pdf at all. In fact it frustrated me no end. First there was no inch line to measure you have printed it correctly, this may not be a problem for most, but I have a printer that doesn't always do as I say, so it was really frustrating. I tried emailing to get confirmation I had the sizing right but never got a response. So I ended up cutting into my good fabric anyway as I didn't have time to make a calico to check. Overall the pattern was pretty basic and I do love the style. Sizing seems to be pretty spot on. This is size 1-2 and Kitty has generally grown out of most of her size 1's and is moving into 2's. The sleeves on this are on the long side, but I like that in a winter jacket. It should even fit her next winter as she is slim through the body and I imagine the size 3-4 would be huge on her.
The instructions were a bit scant on how big to make the buttonhole and a few other small details, but really for six bucks I can't complain. And the end result is lovely.

I used a medium weight wool blend knit for the outside and a red lace detail knit for the lining. The scoop neck on this makes me think it would work better in cotton with a 3/4 sleeve as a spring jacket rather than as a winter coat. I still think Kitty will get a lot of wear out of it. I may even make it again in the vintage upholstery weight cotton that I used for cushions in the lounge room. I think a stiffer fabric would show off the cut of the coat a lot better, but this one is soft and snuggly and perfect for toddler days about town in autumn weather, and it looks fabulous with her black skinny jeans.





How adorable is that first photo! You may start to notice lots of pictures of Kitty playing peek-a-boo at the front door. It is the only way I can get her to co-operate. Generally she isn't much of a smiler but this always seems to bring out a little happy face.

15 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow, Lottie is looking so grown up now! I love her skirt and hope she had a lovely time at the disco. Kitty looks adorable as does her jacket - I've eyed off that pattern more than once so maybe I should just get it as well, Cheriese does need a new jacket

Kate said...

Love the coat and I must get some of that ruffle fabric next time I see it - gorgeous skirt.

Suz said...

They both look fabulous! Louisa would love Lottie's outfit - black is her favourite colour all of a sudden! Lottie looks so grown up.

Kylie said...

your frustration with the coat pattern was definetely worth it Ingrid...it's gorgeous.
I'm struggling along with my vintage sheet quilt at the moment, so I am very envious of your sewing skills. Love Lottie's skirt (and ponytail!)

CurlyPops said...

That first peek a boo is completely adorable!

Fran said...

Lottie's skirt looks just as fantastic as Kitty's does - love it! And the winter coat looks stunning. Spent quite some time perusing the heidi and finn pattern shop last night, great to hear what you thought of the pattern.

So good to have a mother with great taste in clothes............

Cass said...

Love the and Kitty looks so cute in the photos. I need to get some of that fabric, I hope my spotlight has it

small + friendly said...

I could not love that coat more! Great job!

harmony and rosie said...

Thanks for popping over to visit and for leaving your lovely comment. Love love love the coat you made, your little girl looks so pretty in it, great style! KCWC was fun wasn't it?!

Kate

Elisabet said...

The coat is great and cute girls. I really dont like pdf patterns either. Bought one from heidi & finn too and wont be doing that again. I also bought one from danslalune and that one was much betetr to print and put together.

kim rakes said...

what a productive week! it makes me wonder what i could accomplish if i just set aside an hour each day to work on project. hmmm! i`m inspired <3

kim rakes said...

ps- the peek a boo picture. it is perfect. i keep staring at it. i want one just like it with each of my ladies! what a sweet capture :)

Edie said...

I adore the jacket! I'd love to make one like that for Teddy, but I just can't find a pattern I like that isnt in a PDF.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Bianca said...

I made one of these coats too Ingrid after you shared your intentions, yours is great! I absolutely love Ivy's, it's my favourite thing that she's wearing at the moment. Thanks for sharing it!

Jacinta @ modelmumma said...

Oh Ingrid how adorable! I love the fabric and the lining of the coat. I actually have the H&F tunic dress pattern which I've used a few times and is pretty easy and quick to make. I just bought the hoodie, cowl neck dress and sweetpea coat pattern last night from them so I hope they turn out ok. The sweatpea coat has a higher neckline. Maybe you could make it again with some modifications? Either way, she looks so cute in it! :)