Wednesday, May 11, 2011

kids clothing week challenge - day two





I missed day one, so this is what I made yesterday. I am starting easy. I just don't seem to have the motivation to try anything to complicated at the moment. Clearing up the dining room table and dragging all the sewing paraphernalia in and out all the time is a pain. It tires me out just thinking about it. That is why I love this challenge. It really encourages me to make a bit more effort.

This skirt is simple as can be. It is the fabric that makes it special. I have one planned for Lottie too which will be much fuller. Kitty's was just made with a little off cut so I could test out sewing with the fabric. KCWC is running this week over at Elsie Marley, come and join in the fun.
Tonight I will be working on this. I just need to hunt through my stash for the right fabric. I am thinking of dark grey wool lined with a vintage sheet. Hopefully I have enough of the wool - fingers crossed.

And thanks to this lovely lady I have discovered picnik. In the past I have always just used picasa for my photos, but playing with picnik is much more fun. I just used the 1960's effect on these ones but for tomorrows post I will be following Kim's easy tutorial. Isn't she just the sweetest lady helping along those of us that are less technically and photographically talented! Thanks Kim.

11 comments:

Karen said...

Ingrid that is so sweet - can I ask where you got the ruffle fabric??
I have been thinking of getting some sent from the US but it's expensive because of the bulk.
The jacket sounds like it will be very sweet.

Cass said...

Love love love it. I want all the details too.

Duyvken said...

That skirt is beautiful - such stunning fabric. And I know what a pain it is having only the dining table to sew on. I often decide that I can't be bothered to get out the machine because, finally, at the end of the day the living room is clean and I don't want to clutter it up again. I'm glad I'm not alone!!

Laurel said...

Yes, details please! : ) I love this!

thereallifehome said...

What a beautiful little skirt! I wonder if all of our kids realize how lucky they are to have us?!

ringmaster said...

i LOVE this skirt! thank goodness we turned our dining room into a permanent sewing nook! now i don't have to lug the machine out of the closet every time i want to sew!

Danielle said...

she is so pretty and you so talented. :) ~d.

ingrid said...

No pattern ladies just a rectangle gathered onto elastic. the fabric is from spotlight.

Bianca said...

I love it Ingrid! I love making things too, but also lack motivation too often to drag everything out onto the table and clean up the mess it then makes. I've got to stop being lazy though and get into it! I just bought that gorgeous coat pattern, so hopefully I'll be whipping that one up soon too! Thanks for the idea :)

Eve said...

Wow. I can't believe you didn't do that ruffling yourself - it is gorgeous. What a lucky girl!

kim rakes said...

i have a dress with that kind of material that got messed up in the washing machine. i wonder if i could salvage it and turn it into two of these little skirts, one for each miss! i adore it! my fabric is weird too though, did you just use regular thread?? or did you have to use elastic thread or something fancy? unlike you, i am not a seamstress... just a wannbe! <3