Monday, May 02, 2011

memories


This big pile of raspberry silk is my wedding dress. It doesn't look very loved does it?
A few years ago when we were planning on moving, I packed up boxes and boxes of my belongings and took them over to my mother in laws house to store. I was completely ruthless. If it wasn't being worn regularly it got packed. The thing is - we never moved. And those boxes began to be very missed. Lots of my favourite dresses, my entire vintage clothing collection, treasured items that didn't fit me any more, they were all haunting me to come home again.

So I have started bringing home boxes. It is all rather pot luck as I didn't label the boxes very well, so unpacking is a lot of fun (except for the stinky storage smells). Today I found my most loved vintage houndstooth coat, an adored floral dress that I wore so much when Lottie was a baby, the vintage dress I wore when I went to meet Mr Big's parents for the very first time, the cardigan that I lived in while I was at university - and way down the bottom of the box in a very squashed and crumpled suit bag was my wedding dress! It smells dreadful but still looks as beautiful as I remember.

I will be taking it to the drycleaners this week along with the black satin opera coat (that is the little bit of black you can see in the photo). I can't see myself ever wearing the dress again but it will be lovely to have it hanging back in my closet where it belongs. The opera coat on the other hand will be worn the very next chance I get. It is one of my favourite ever belongings and I don't know how I got through the last few years without it.

7 comments:

AJ said...

A red wedding dress!! Cool! I'd love to see some photos! I nearly wore red for mine!

Kylie said...

it's always lovely to unearth treasures you had forgotten about...most of our treasures are stored in our shed while we renovate, I can't remember half of the stuff we have...
As for wedding dresses, mine was vintage 1930's, I bought it from the Chappel St Bazaar and for some crazy reason I THREW IT AWAY! Insane! I so regret doing this and to this day I can't explain why I did it...it's too sad to keep thinking about.What a dumb thing to do!

Leah said...

I'm with AJ - pictures of you on your wedding day please :) What a lovely box to unearth though :)

bettina said...

I've seen some wedding pics but would love to see them again, its always fun to find a box of treasures you haven't seen for a while, like a time capsule. That reminds me, I think my dress is in the garage somewhere so should go and have a search.
The opera coat will be perfect for 'Mary Poppins' matinee!

CurlyPops said...

What a beautiful coloured dress. Could you maybe share a wedding photo? I'd love to see the dress!

Cass said...

Lovely dress it will be great to see what else you have uncovered

lizziedoesit said...

I love hand me downs too! its great to see another smart shopping mama with great style! Kitty looks adorable, these are great pictures!!