Saturday, August 20, 2011

easy prawn laksa


This was Saturday night dinner for me and Mr Big. We fed the kids sausages and put them to bed early because we don't like to share. We are mean like that.

I have adapted this recipe from instructions on various laksa paste jars and others I have seen around the place. You can mix up the ingredients to suit your taste. Mr Big prefers noodles with his, but I make him have the bean shoots because I am trying to be healthy and I don't want to be jealous watching him eat yummy noodles. But really the bean shoots add a nice crunch and it is so creamy and decadent anyway, you really don't need the noodles.

easy prawn laksa
serves two

- laksa paste - how much you use will depend on the jar. I find the supermarket ones I need about 1/2 to 2/3 of a jar but the hotter ones you can get at the asian supermarket I only use 1/2 a jar max
- dozen large green prawns, peeled and de-gunked
- bunch of broccolini, cut in half
- bunch of coriander, ripped into pieces and rinsed well
- bag of bean sprouts
- 500ml of chicken stock
- 375ml tin of Carnation light and creamy coconut evaporated milk
- fried onions from the asian supermarket for garnish if you like them
- lime wedge

Get two very large bowls and divide the sprouts between them, top with the coriander but leave a little aside for garnish.
Add your laksa paste to a medium saucepan and heat through until fragrant. Pour in stock and milk and bring to a simmer. Add broccolini and prawns and cook until prawns are pink. This only takes about 1 minute. Divide the laksa between the bowls. Top with the rest of the coriander, fried onions and lime wedge. Squeeze over lime and eat. Delicious!
Be warned, you really do need large bowls. The bowl pictured is a big deep laksa bowl. As you can see my serve doesn't quite fill it but Mr Big's was over flowing.


8 comments:

Just Us said...

Sounds delish!! Love Laksa and this sounds too easy....must get the kids to bed early tomorrow and give it a try :)

Kate said...

Yum! I have never made laksa - I must try it. We do special dinners too, it is nice to put everyone to bed and then have yummy dinner in peace sometimes.

Kylie said...

Dinner for us tomorrow night. Yum, Yum, Yum! Thanks Ingrid x

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh YUM!! I'm hungry & i had quite the stir fry for dinner, but i could totally taste that deliciousness, lovely. Love Posie

dixiebelle said...

That is the perfect indulgent meal to me!!

Sometimes we tell the kids it's their bedtime already and they believe us, even though it's only 7pm! Miss M (6) will be able to tell time soon and that will be the end of that trick!

Jacinta @ modelmumma said...

Yum but you GOTTA have it with noodles... egg noodles are my fave!!! :D
I love when we put the girls to bed early and have our own special dinner! It's so sneaky and fun. haha.

Liam's Mummy said...

That looks delicious!

Suzy said...

That looks so yummy! I am definitely going to give it a try.