Wednesday, August 10, 2011

kids craft - jellyfish


It was my turn to organise our playgroup craft this week. I am usually a bit lazy and just get out the paints, but today I thought we should do something a bit more involved, so we made jellyfish. These are so easy and suited to both toddlers and preschoolers. The older kids could even help cut up their own paper strips if they want to help with the preparation.

You will need
- glue
- scissors
- plastic or paper bowls (you could even use a take-away food container or a paper cup to make a smaller one)
- crepe paper in long strips for the tentacles
- cellophane and tissue paper scraps cut into small pieces to decorate the body
- string to thread through the top

All you do is glue around the inside edge of the bowl and attach the long crepe paper strips. Then turn the bowl over cover with glue and decorate with the cellophane and tissue paper. Leave to dry, then punch a hole in the base of the bowl and attach a string. Hang up and watch your jellyfish sparkle in the sunshine and flutter in the breeze.




3 comments:

Cass said...

I'm on craft in a few weeks so I might do this although Lucy wants to do wooden spoon people

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh the memories of these from preschool - when my baby boy started 2.5y.o. preschool (which was 3y.o. preschool for the 2y.o. who were toilet trained) this style of jelly fish was hanging in the children's bathroom & his immediate response was to climb onto a toilet seat & leap while clutching as many tenticles as possible & bring half a dozen crashing to the floor. We made quite the impression, thank goodness they knew me & my bigger girls who were angels. Love Posie

small + friendly said...

What a great idea! I love how it came out! I want to make one myself :)