Wednesday, November 09, 2011

kitty style {making vintage work}


One of the tricks with putting together a vintage wardrobe that works (and by that I mean one that actually gets worn and not just collected) is to find pieces that suit your lifestyle and also to be able to see the potential in pieces that may need some extra love or a a bit of work. When it comes to Kitty's clothes I am always drawn to frilly party dresses in soft sheer fabrics, but I know realistically she is only going to need 2 or 3 of these per season, so I restrain myself. Simple dresses in easy care fabrics, frills or no frills, basic pinis, and things that can mix and match are much cleverer choices. I know she will get more wear out of them, plus they are often easier to look after and also to mend or alter.

Sometimes I find the perfect item but by the time the season is right the fit isn't so great. I don't like altering hems on vintage dresses unless there is no way around it. I love those big wide hems and for me they hold part of the magic, so often I will pass that item on rather than ruining it's vintage charm. Other times I make do with short dresses - short with the right nappy cover or pants is cuter than long anyway. The other option is to use the dress as a top. I often buy dresses which I know are way too small, but as long as the arm hole is deep enough and the chest measurement fits I know it will get worn. Pants and overalls are another story. I actually very rarely buy long vintage pants for Kitty. She is very tall - all leg - and has a teeny waist with no bottom, so they never seem to fit. But when I saw these overalls on etsy I thought it was worth taking a risk.




I knew that even if the bottom half was no good I could cut the pants off completely and turn them into a skirt, as long as I could save the top half it would be worth it. When I tried them on Kitty the body was a great fit but the legs were about 2 inches too short, so cutting off another fewinches was a perfect and easy solution. I also stitched up they inner leg as I hate snap closures on toddlers. I then used the scraps to whip up a quick headband. I did hesitate a little before cutting these up, they really were lovely just as they were, but sadly not right for Kitty. I hate spoiling vintage with too many alterations, but I think these ended up just as cute and still retain their vintage sweetness.





Kitty wears
vintage overalls - La Di Dottie
(turned into shortalls by me)
headband - made by mumma
shoes - salt water sweethearts


We are joining in little vintage style and small style again this week. I think these linkys are the things that keep my blog going these days.

16 comments:

Melissa Bothwell-Inglis said...

are you kidding me?! That's such an adorable palette. print. pattern you scored! Kitty looks fresh as spring in it (which I still can't wrap my canadian mind around) I keep thinking she's going to freeze now that we're on the heels of Fall here!
Sooooo cute, well done mama Ingrid!
xo
Mel ;o)
www.needleandnestdesign.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great job on revamping those adorable overalls! Such a sweet little outfit. What a cutie you've got!!! :)

-Kari at LaDiDottie

bec said...

Gorgeous! It took me a while to work out what you'd altered, der! so if you hadn't of told us, we'd never have known haha. She'll get heaps more wear out of them now. Loving the Saltie sandals. And headband, cute!

lizziedoesit said...

you did an amazing job! love the headband an shortalls. kitty looks beautiful as always!

Megsie said...

Oh my Ingrid they are just perfect. Killing me with just how perfect they are. the print, frills and back are just ....well perfect! If only my miss would wear overalls:(

Mama of 2 boys said...

This outfit and those pics are absolutely adorable. I love your alteration of those overalls. The pattern is gorgeous also. Another lovely Kitty Style :o)

Corey Moortgat said...

A-DOR-A-BLE!!! So,so cute! I actually just purchased a vintage overall pattern similar to this style to make some for Avery. She's very tall as well, so nothing every fits well. I had thought I'd use corduroy, but I love the plaid on yours here, so maybe I'll do some rethinking!

gabrielle said...

ooohh...they are gorgeous, I know what you mean about altering vintage, I always hesitate too but I think much better looking adorable on Kitty as shortalls than sitting waiting to be brought

lishyloo said...

this is so smart! i wish i could sew!

Yellow Finch Designs said...

this is amazing!! i love it!!!

erica @ expatriababy said...

My goodness. I do admire people who can sew! Very sweet.

Adventures In Babywearing said...

Oh that is perfection!

Steph

Kendra Morris said...

I love what you did with the outfit and the headband!! Great job!

jessica dukes said...

i looked at this this morning an then i had to come back for more. first off, she is precious add the outfit...i love it. so so sweet.

Jennifer Wilson said...

wow, those are are seriously the cutest overalls ever! i'm speechless!

Stacy said...

the colors are darling and i love that you made them work for you!