Friday, November 11, 2011

lil' vintage story books - in the forest - marcel marlier

One of my absolute favourite illustrators is Marcel Marlier. Just look at these images and you will see why. I have two different variations of this book. The first is 'Johnny and Sophie in the forest' which was written and illustrated by Marlier. Then I have 'Mark and Michelle in the Forest' with almost exactly the same pictures but different text, this time written by Gilbert Delahaye who worked with marlier on many books, most memorably the 'Martine' series.









I had many of Marlier's books as a child and I remember being completely enthralled by them. I wish I had kept some of those well loved copies but my mother was never a 'keeper'. Both of these were picked up at op-shops to add to my Marlier collection. One day maybe I will have all the ones I remember from my childhood.



11 comments:

Redo 101 said...

Thanks for sharing this book, the pictures are really gorgeous, aren't they?! I do love the vintage books!

Corey Moortgat said...

oh yes, really gorgeous! I love the little girl's face when she's laying down. They do look quite magical! I'll have to keep an eye out for those!

Sugarpetite said...

So pretty. The children have the sweetest eyes!

Mim said...

Beautiful images, seeing these bring back memories for me too! My sister loved the author and illustrator combination of Gilbert and Marcel. I will point her in this direction so she can get her fix ;-)

Courtney Ferguson said...

these are my favourite images of all time and I have the ballet one of these - never to part with - I think it's the only thing I have left from my childhood as I am not a hoarder - wonderful of you to share:D

magie said...

What darling illustrations! My favourite is the winter woodland one..with the cute little birdies :)
I hope you will be able to find all the collection you had as a child. It is always nice to have the books of ones childhood, brings back such special memories. Thanks for sharing :)

gabrielle said...

I had Mary and her Friends growing up and it was my favourite, I just wanted clothes like hers. I found it in an oppy a few years ago so was very happy

Suz said...

I loved reading Debbie's birthday party growing up - especially looking at the little girls' dresses. Have thought recently that I will have to 'borrow' the copy from Mum and introduce it to my daughter and perhaps take some inspiration for sewing some dresses!

Karen said...

Aaahhh - I have Sophie and Johnny in the forest!! I hid it from my kids - it's up high in their wardrobe but they are only allowed to read it with me!!
They know it as "Mama's special book".
Gorgeous - I love it.

Tania said...

We have "Debbie's Dream" and I really love the special illustrations. Really beautiful. I'm wondering why I never stumbled upon these books until about a year ago. But will definitely keep an eye out while op shopping.

craftschmaft.com said...

*sigh* Just gorgeous Ingrid.