Monday, March 12, 2012

i like to cheat


I love to bake from scratch but sometimes I like quick and easy even better. I picked up a few lemon cake mix boxes super cheap a few weeks back and even though they are pretty nice just as they are I have found a way to make them extra delicious. First up I bake the cake following the instructions on the box. Once it is cooked I mix the juice of one lemon with about a cup of icing sugar. You can also use the juice of two limes if a lemon lime combo takes your fancy. Then I prick the top of the cake all over with a fork and pour over the lemon syrup. You need to go slowly and use the back of a spoon to make sure it gets all over and starts oozing down those holes. Then I put it in the fridge and forget about it for a few hours (this is the hardest step). Then it's time to frost, serve and eat. I used the frosting mix that came in the packet but I think a cream cheese one would be even nicer. This is super sweet so I like it served with a coffee to cut through all that lemony sugar but my kids liked it served with ice cream. Next box I am going to try adding some coconut to the mix as well. I adore lemony coconut goodies.








4 comments:

Cass said...

Yum I'd leave out the icing though

Cosy said...

Inspired!

AnastasiaC said...

what a great idea! i too bought a few boxes when I spotted them at $2 each - its a pretty yummy cake!

Lizeylou said...

OH YUM ... That looks like what I need to go with my cup of tea